Chicago, Illinois

on August 24th I and some friends boarded the train in Was D.C. for Chicago then on the Reno, Nv. Trip to Chi was great. However, we were booked in H/C lower level all the way. We were seniors on our way to Reno for a Convention. When arriving in Chicago I was taken by red cap to the area where we would be boarding fom (Gate C) once thre informed several attendents that I would be needing assistance to get to the train when it was time. I reminded them several times. Each time I was told that when it was time I would get help. Well about 5 hours later when it was time for first boarders (handicapped/small children and elders/sleepers) I again informed them I needed help getting to the train. assured I would get it. However as the regular travelers were heading to their assigned cars I was still waiting.. being concerned that I would not have a lower level seat I again approached the person at the gate. She was very helpful? She placed my bags in a wheel chair showed me how to operate the chair (by pulling back and holding the handle) she instructed me push my chair that was carrying my baggage (I would be walking) all the way down to my assigned car. Almost there and in severe pain and out of breath an employee helping others board the train saw my stress and asked her co-worker if she would be alright for a minute so she could help me and she did. By the time I got to the car my friends were coming off to assist me. I am a soon to be 74 yr old diabetic senior who also has had neck replacement and needs knee replacement pushing a wheel chair with baggage.

I prefer taking the train wherever I can because the trip is usually very relaxing. This was a horror story. I can't go any further about this trip at this time but when and if you contact I will tell you the rest. The trip home was not a lot better except fofor the cussing drunk sitting behind me.......but your service attendants handled that very well.

Looking forward to hearing from you very soon

Thanks for allowing me to have my say

Sylvia Slaughter 240-346-0588 or 240 582-5524

5501 59th Avenue

Riverdale, Md. 2737

Product or Service Mentioned: Amtrak Customer Care.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Amtrak Pros: Employees that go the extra mile, Employees who do go the extra mile.

Amtrak Cons: No help for disabled persons, Lack of help for disabled persons and attitude.

Comments