12/11/17 - I went in to make reservations for a round trip from Washington DC to NYC, and back. I messed with it for 20 minutes and couldn't get a return ticket.

It used to be easy. No wonder these *** are losing money. I'll fly or drive. *** them.

Why do I need 100 words?

I've said everything I need to say. Blah blah blah {{Redacted}}

Product or Service Mentioned: Amtrak Website.

Reason of review: See what I wrote.

Amtrak Cons: Website.

Comments

Amtrak has a "contact us" email option on their website but no one ever replies to the emails. I have sent 5 about a refund.

No answer.

I live in China so it's hard to call. I guess these thieves just get to silently keep my money.

AMTRAK'S WEBSITE SUX BALLZ 1) I had to try 3 times to register for an account 2) I applied and was approved for their promo credit card that included a $100 credit towards the current purchase, but then their websited F'ed up in applying the credit. 3) THEN their checkout system couldn't even charge my credit card.

LOL. Who the heck designed their website?

The frontend *and* the backend SUCKS. Bunch of third-tier loser software devs.

The website was down for nearly a day—it is slow and doesn’t respond. I finally succeeded in booking a one way ticket but it was a frustrating experience. They should look at the LIRR website which is very efficient.

Same issue here, same itinerary. So freakin' stupid that Amtrak can't get a website to SELL THEIR PRODUCT to work.

The problems are a lot worse than just their website. I’ve had two and three hour delays on easily half of the twenty times I’ve taken it these few months.

Or a bus will show up in place of the train , full of angry people who have long since stopped being in the frame of mind to share their seat. That’s an awesome experience. This one trip alone , which is normally two and a half hours and two stops for me, is already at three and a half hours, and we haven’t even hit the first stop.

Well, we have stopped twice , unfortunately none of them was a scheduled stop. This is what happens to customer service and quality once you get classified as public transportation and are able to get 2/3 of your money from the taxpayer ...whether you rode the train or not , you are paying for this fiasco

YES! They need a wholly new platform.

The website is so user unfriendly. The company must realize they lose soooooo much money because ultimately you waste so much time figuring it out, you might has well have picked up an extra shift at work and just flown.

TRUE 100%. WORST TRAVEL WEBSITE EVER. I Sure hope taxpayers dont subsidize this mess.

I think that Amtrak should have high speed trains between major cities. Trains that travel like 200 miles an hour. But it would be really scary worrying about if the train would become derailed at speeds.

Agreed! Just tried to book a trip and it has to be the most confusing site I've seen.

Couldn't figure it out and just bought a plane ticket instead. Too bad, the train would have been more relaxing.

@Jen Thompson

Amtrak website is trash. It'll let me go to Eureka to Sacramento with a Martinez middle transfer but I can't just go to Martinez? Weird.

#1622012

Amtrak online booking is impossible. Someone needs to clean up their software and build a site that actually works. I dpent the last hour trying to make a reservation anywhere.

@Frank Meachet

Worse than useless designed by idiots

EfficaciousCrab515
@Frank Meachet

Dead on Frank. That dead *** site if I signed on could not book any travel.

If I signed out and just used site unsigned it worked . I am in my 70's and worked in hardware and software for years. I have never seen such a steaming heap of crap software!

No wonder ridership is dismal. Fire the lot!

Same issues, travelling by train in Canada is so easy, always on time and easy to book on line. Like other users (or attempted users here) unable to book return trip on a round trip fair. Get with the times Amtrak!

It's like going onto a government agency website.

Having the same issues. What a bunch of idiots.

We too, used to have no trouble figuring out our trips. For example, we used to be able to put in our starting point (Ann Arbor, MI) and our final destination (Miami, FL).

The site would show all runs, all prices and all times. Now, you have to put in each and every leg (whether you know what it is or not), and patch it together.

This is NOT user friendly. Please fix it, or we won't be riding ever again.

Really, I just tried to make the same round trip on their website and had NO PROBLEM. All I did was click the far left box where it says "ONE WAY" and a "ROUND TRIP" box appears. Pretty simple.

@TJ

TJ, good for you! I love Amtrak, am a competent user of transportation websites (nd the internet, and a variety of software in general) and I was pulling my hair pulling trying to make a reservation on the website.

Nothing seemed intuitive. Things were not labeled or titled clearly, but my favorite was when, upon clicking the calendar icon it opened so far up on the page, that it was covered by the url box. No, pc not have a problem.

Eventually i scrolled down and green the pop up calendar appeared below the icon instead of above. Just one example of poor design on their website.

@ILoveAmtrakButTheySuck

The website needs so much work. Auto train tix don't work via mobile.

And I went through all the hassle of checking best prices, but it won't let me make a reservation now unless my husband signs up for rewards. Ugh.