1.5K views

12/11/17 - I went in to make reservations for a round trip from Washington DC to NYC, and back. I messed with it for 20 minutes and couldn't get a return ticket.

It used to be easy. No wonder these *** are losing money. I'll fly or drive. *** them.

Why do I need 100 words?

I've said everything I need to say. Blah blah blah {{Redacted}}

Product or Service Mentioned: Amtrak Website.

Reason of review: See what I wrote.

Amtrak Cons: Website.

Comments

#2040551

Amtrak website is a complete joke. Spent 20 minutes trying to find fares.

I can find a fare for an airline on any airline website in 60 seconds. FARCICAL.

#2036180

Needed to travel from Bay Area to Eugene, OR. After a minor operation, I didn't want to drive and thought it might be fun to book a RT on the Coast Starlight.

I realize it's popular and would not normally be surprised to find it possibly booked up - BUT - it asks for your destination and dates of travel before even asking how many you are booking for or whether you want a coach, business, roomette, etc. - it just returns a message saying that "At least one portion of your trip is sold out. Please try a different date and time." It doesn't say WHICH portion--going or returning--so you have to keep putting in alternate dates only to get the same result. Why can't they do what the airlines do and just show you an availability calendar so you can choose a date that still has space and book it?

I even tried booking on the "roomette" site and got a never-ending "searching" circle. Love trains, but AMTRAK's apparently antiquated and lack of attention to its booking site speaks poorly for its efficiency.

#2022357

I tried booking a trip today, and the website would not allow me to proceed to buy the ticket once it is in my cart. I verified this behavior on two different browsers.

I called customer service, and the agent wanted to pass me off to tech support. Neither is willing to actually book the ticket for me. 30 minutes of my time wasted!

What kind of bozos are running this company?! I'm taking the bus...

#2008070

tried everything known to mankind to book to no avail. Site sucks.

#2007675

I agree totally. I went to their website to get some basic fare info and was completely frustrated and confused. It seems they are trying to hide info and that means they have nothing that they are proud to offer.

#2001569

totally agree : how can it be so horrible? the chat window works but one shouldn't have to contend with different schedules and pricing asking questions with a machine...very disconcerting plenty of templates available from other travel companies that work wonderfully ...this Amtrak thing is a prescription for Advil

#1974889

It’s mind boggling how in this time Amtrak’s website is so innefficient, like it was haphazardly set up by an inexperienced amateur. It does not offer an alternate time, route, options in the event your search yields no train routes. It is terrible and functions very poorly.

#1926509

My head is spinning! I was thinking that my phone was acting up but nooo. Talk about frustrating!

The new Amtrak site is horrible. one cant get any info or do any booking. I feel that it is deliberate and intentional.

Absolutely agree, THE WORST website. Makes booking very difficult and time-consuming...Sort it out Amtrak

Website developed by grade school students. Worst experience on the web.

Definitely won't be taking an Amtrak trip any time soon. Nothing makes sense.

Dead ends. Etc.

Horrible website. Has actually regressed since 2017.

If they can't run it,why not get out of the way & let the private sector bid to take it over.

They get none of my money until they wake up! Enterprise rental a car is cheaper and easier.

AMTRAK: THEY ARE THE KING OF COMPANIES THAT ARE A TRAINWRECK!

What would TJ do?

@PissedConsumer1811577

TJ would say that navigating the Amtrak site is very simple and easy. He would also call out people as being wusses who were too scared to wait for trains at unmanned stations along deserted stretches of railroad tracks in the run down predominately African American part of town that has a very high crime rate.

OMG... Amtrak webpage so not user friendly.

I gave up shopping for tix on my phone.

Frustrated by trying navigate it and hitting dead ends. Feels obsolete, like from the last century?

Amtrak has a "contact us" email option on their website but no one ever replies to the emails. I have sent 5 about a refund.

No answer.

I live in China so it's hard to call. I guess these thieves just get to silently keep my money.

AMTRAK'S WEBSITE SUX BALLZ 1) I had to try 3 times to register for an account 2) I applied and was approved for their promo credit card that included a $100 credit towards the current purchase, but then their websited F'ed up in applying the credit. 3) THEN their checkout system couldn't even charge my credit card.

LOL. Who the heck designed their website?

The frontend *and* the backend SUCKS. Bunch of third-tier loser software devs.

The website was down for nearly a day—it is slow and doesn’t respond. I finally succeeded in booking a one way ticket but it was a frustrating experience. They should look at the LIRR website which is very efficient.

Same issue here, same itinerary. So freakin' stupid that Amtrak can't get a website to SELL THEIR PRODUCT to work.

Amtrak Reviews