Chicago, Illinois
1.3
Level of Comfort
Quality of Food

Bathrooms were a filthy mess. They never looked at them but once in a 50+ hr ride from Chicago to San Fran.

There was no soap or towels and toilet seats were a mess. Went to bathroom around 3:35 in the morning and then went again around 11:30 and still no towels or soap. I've seen barns cleaner than what these bathrooms were. Our tour group wasn't the only one to complain about this.

We talked with another tour group that went from Chicago to Salt Lake City and they said the same thing that the bathrooms were filthy and the staff was rude. I will never ride the California Zephyr again. I've called to complain about this and no one has gotten back to me. I guess they don't care.

Windows inside were also dirty. My husband took a napkin to clean inside of window and the napkin came back with black on it which is the diesel fumes that filter back into the train. Carpet on headers over head were suppose to be tan and were black. Vents were black.

You look up between window and header and that was black. You'd be lucky if you don't get sick on this train from the filth. It got to the point that you hoped you'd have a stop at a station and have enough time to go inside the train station and go to the bathroom.

Staff was not around much.

Product or Service Mentioned: Amtrak Sanitary Conditions.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Amtrak Cons: Arriving late and dirty bathrooms.

Comments