Grand Junction, Colorado

My wife and i paid for a round trip from Grand Junction CO to Martinez CA on 3/24/11. It has been years since we have been on a train so were looking forward to the trip.

Late spring storms in the California Sierra's cause the train to stop in Reno NV, Amtrak put all of the passengers in a very nice casino and were to bus us over the pass. My daughter did not want to wait so we went via car to her house. On the return trip I called the depot in Martinez CA and was told that the train could not get over the pass. Amtrak did not offer any means of transport to Reno to catch the return train back to Colorado.

I rented a car (cost $200 with gas) to get us to Reno. The train trip back was uneventful if you take into account the instant coffee and high food prices. When we arrived home I immediately called to request a refund for part of the train ticket and car rental fee, It took 27 minutes and being passed from one disinterested agent to another. I sent in the requested information on April 1 and here it is the 22nd of April and no response.

I called the customer service and was on hold for almost 30 minutes, again I was told that my claim is at Corporate Office and it will take 6 weeks to get an answer on my request. I cannot believe the poor customer relations and delayed response time from this company. I will never again ride the rails unless I hitch a ride on a Coal or freight train.

And that is too bad, because this Great of a Nation deserves a passenger transport system that is much better than Amtrak. It should be disbanded and sold as scrap!

Product or Service Mentioned: Amtrak Train Service.

Comments

I have to disagree with you. I have traveled california zepher many times, I would have to say this train has some of the nicest,sincere people working on a train. I have never had a problem with the customer service center--my word to you is treat them nice and maybe you would get the same respect.

I hate to do this, but I do agree with you. We need to take the government oversight out of this 'company' and let the chips fall where they may.

This means no more employee give aways to those that complain of discrimination etc. Perhaps a 'private' group can bring this back to a decent railroad.