Saint Louis, Missouri
1.8
Number of Destinations
Quality of Food

Consistently late, count on this! Do NOT count on getting to an appointment or meeting via amtrak!

Had a round trip to Chicago from St. Louis this last weekend (Friday morning to Monday afternoon) The long train getting into St. Louis was late by 45 min. Typical waiting on freight lines, as Amtrak piggybacks off private rail lines. (Good book about this called "Waiting on a Train") Anyway, delayed again mid trip, and again at the end, thus making our journey 3 hours late, and thus late for my meeting. Amtrak: If you are trying to make up time, do not ask to check tickets before boarding because some people can't figure out which train to board! Also, SPEED UP the train to catch up! Not hard to figure out.

On the way home, smooth sailing until the last 10 miles, where we waited another 45 min for a freight train to "clear up"

This isn't my first experience waiting on trains to clear up. In 2003, I waited 6 hours somewhere outside of Pittsburgh, thus missing my connecting train to Miami. Fortunately, amtrak paid for a cab ride, and we narrowly caught this train at a rendezvous farther south.

So the moral is, if you have a lot of time to kill getting somewhere, take amtrak. If you are counting on being somewhere on time, forget about it.

Product or Service Mentioned: Amtrak Train Service.

Reason of review: Problem with delivery.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Amtrak Pros: Mobile app.

Amtrak Cons: Late arrival and departure.

Comments

As for getting somewhere on time: That is why we have airlines.