Irvine, California

Amtrak is cheap

Amtrak is cheap. I know this to be true because that's what the Amtrak employee at the ticket window told me after I drove 50 miles out of my way to exchange a voucher for tickets after the ticket machine at my local train station printed out 2 of the 4 tickets I had purchased, but not the remaining 2. She said that she got a voucher like mine at least once a week because the ticket kiosks run out of paper to print the tickets and all the kiosks can do is print out a voucher which you can mail to Pennsylvania for a refund, or bring to an Amtrak ticket office to exchange for the tickets. She said that the computer systems need to be updated because the kiosks don't tell the main Amtrak computer system that the tickets didn't print, or that the kiosk is out of paper; so when you call Amtrak customer service on the phone after getting a voucher instead of all of your tickets, the customer service rep tells you on the phone from Pennsylvania that according to their computer, all of your tickets were printed.

I spoke with several different people in several different departments at Amtrak in Pennsylvania trying to find out why I had received the voucher and what I should do. One told me to buy my tickets on the train, ( I had already bought the tickets- they just didn't all print, why would I need to buy more tickets?). Another told me to just explain to the conductor that my tickets didn't all print, and show him the voucher. If he didn't accept the voucher and I had to buy more tickets, I would get a refund. That's a solution? Another asked me if I could go 50 plus miles out of my way to a station which had a ticket office, which I ended up doing. Meanwhile, she didn't offer me a free round trip ticket on the train in order to get to the ticket office- no, that's on your dime.

Amtrak is cheap. That's what I was told, and I believe it.

Product or Service Mentioned: Amtrak Train Service.

Comments

Amtrak is typical of A Gov. run "business" totally overpriced-useless service for most of the public. Put me in charge and I will have her owned by the public and making money within 5 years and more service destinations with cars that are functional and folks who actualle care...