Amtrak has terrible customer service

Today I had a train ticket for the 8:58 train from Burbank to San Diego. There is no agent at the Burbank station. Someone was hit by a train early in the morning and they could have called or emailed me. They had all the information. Someone was hit by a train in Van Nuys, CA very early that morning and the police kept terminating the service from Burbank and saying train would come in 2 hours but it never did. When I called customer service *4 times) nobody know about the fatality even at 11am in the morning. To top it off, they had the gall to charge me the 10% cancellation free when they are the ones who cancelled my plans to take a train. I am out over $50 in taxi cab fare and had to drive to San Diego and pay for valet parking for 4 days. Amtrak did not have the decency to send a van to Burbarnk to pick up stranded passengers to take them to LA to get trains to their destinations. However, Amtrak did report lies to the TV news and lied stating that they got the passengers new train tickets. Perhaps they got service for the people who were on the train that hit the pedestrian but they did not do anything for the people in Burbank right down the street. I am thoroughly disgusted and will never travel Amtrak for the rest of my life. I will also sue them and won't be happy until they go bankrupt. Nobody in customer service even apologized to me. Their employees refused to give me the name and address of the President of the company. Absolutely a horrible experience!
Sparta, Illinois
Service
Amtrak Train Service

Amtrak Service Deteriorates further and has no customer service recourse

We spent $1744 on first-class sleeper car service and we had no water on the entire return trip (overnight). the toilet in our compartment failed. Icing on the cake: Amtrak makes it nearly impossible to complain or get any response let alone restitution. Customer service in the station is not allowed to handle customer complaints. We were given the toll free number for reservations (as if) which is understaffed. After a too-long wait to speak to someone, I was transferred to another automated ***. My call was never answered. I was kicked over to an aumated answering machine. No one called back. Likewise, Amtrak's web site has no facility for complaints or service issues. Clearly Amtrak has no interest in customer service.

8/28/08 Im am not sure where to begin this letter. I really need to voice my concerns with both the quality of transportation as well as the unfair treatment that I recieved.

On the morning of Aug 22nd a group of friends and I took you Bellingham to Portland train down to celebrate a bachelor party. The beginning of the trip was wonderful, great views and friendly service, but thats about where that ends. When we arrived to the Everett station, the conductors informed us that the engine needed to be swapped but due to a broken windshield on the replacement engine we had to wait for over an hour. When we return to the track we experienced more delays from an unfortunate fatality that had occurred on the track ahead of us.

These delays added an additional three hours to the trip, so what scheduled to be a 6-6.5hr trip ended up being more than 10 hrs long. Now, heres where the real problem occurs. On the last stop before our final destination to Portland, a traveling companion and myself got up to use the restroom. When we arrived to the bathroom it was occupied, I Darrin Brown said to my friend Shad Waite “ I have to go so bad I could *** on the floor.�

The conductor who was standing by me took this comment literally when it was strictly a joke. He then told me that “ You have to get off train now� I told him I was joking and I wasn’t really going to urinate on the floor. He then replied while pointing at me “I want you off the train now�

I then waited my turn went to the restroom and returned to my seat. In the meanwhile Shad stayed behind and told the conductor, and this is shad statement. “I spoke to the conductor and said Darrin was joking and he needed to lighten up. The conductor started arguing with me and it ended with him telling Darrin he needed to leave the train, or, the whole group would be removed.

Darrin didn’t argue with the conductor, I was doing all the arguing, so why was Darrin told to leave and not me? I believe the conductor had an issue with Darrin, and the only issue I could see is Darrin being African American. When we were delayed for three hours this same conductor let us out of the train to have a smoke, along with him. The entire time of the trip we were asked to be a little quieter maybe twice, but never any warnings about being inappropriate or out of control.

Darrin made one comment and the conductor exploded and threatened to kick him off 5 minutes from our destination. We had to call people to pick us up and hugely inconvenienced everybody involved. � I do not play the race card because I have done very well in life and believe ignorance of other people can be overcome by hard work and respect for others.

I believe in the motto of killing people with kindness and they will come around when they get to know me as a person. Two key points that I would like to illustrate that suggests I was treated unfairly. First, in Everett I asked the same gentleman (the conductor) if he had an estimated time of departure for us since we awaiting the arrival of one of our traveling mates and he replied “ we leave when the train leaves now return to your seat, which I did. Second, during our three hour stall due to the fatality, he illegally allowed travelers to exit the train and smoke on the side of train tracks.

Okay well that demonstrates poor judgement on his part right there. But what I don’t get, why is it he looked at me and ordered a few of us to reboard the train due to the amount of people outside of the train was getting excessive. I didn’t think much of it at the time and I happily abided. This was later pointed out to me after I was kicked off the train an hour or so later by a fellow traveler.

In conclusion, I was upset so I told the rest of our group to continue on and I would just catch a cab into Portland and just pay out of pocket. I left the station to call a cab and arrange for a ride down south. Well, it turns out the conductor took it one more step and called the local poice although I was complying with his unfair and unjust wishes to leave the train. One of my traveling mates called me to let me know the police where wanting to talk to me.

When I returned to the station to speak with the officers to explain what had happened to the officer he felt I was dodging him and wrote me a ticket for trespassing, on what grounds I am not sure. I feel if I was treated fair on the train and not asked to leave like every other passenger this ticket would have never occurred. This should be exonerated and dismissed without question.

Please feel free to contact me at the below contact information. Sincerely, Darrin

Customer Relations

Good luck...

Hope it helps...

View more comments (1)
New York, New York

A travel company should take care for its customers

A travel company should take care for its customers About the famous Amtrak We are a couple from Europe, travelling from San Diego to Los Angeles and then to Pomona. We already bought our Metrolink tickets for Pomona from San Diego station, so we’ll be ready to catch the line of 9:00 . It happened about 7:30 last night, when a car hit the train. We were stack for two hours in the train. Finally we got to Los Angeles about 11:00 which means we lost our train to Pomona. We asked in the information what is going to be with us, as we lost the only train to Pomona and they answered that it was not their fault if we lost the train to Pomona. There obligation was to bring us to LA and that was it. We said that we are foreigners, we don’t know anybody to help us, and is not our fault for this delay and loose the only means of transportation to Pomona. You know what? They just show us the place to get a bus for Pomona. We told them that even if we go by bus, there is no one to pick us up from the station, as the shuttle do not work after 11:00. They answered they don’t have any obligation to bring us to our hotel. We travelled for two hours and finally we got to the Pomona Bus Station. We were left there for one hour, all alone, cold, hungry, despair and afraid as we are foreigners in a frightful dark unknown place, because some *** wanted to bit the train. Please tell me, is that fair? Who can trust the Amtrak again? The company should take care of its passengers and especially for something that it wasn’t our fault. I will never travel with Amtrak, because they are very cruel and have a bad behavior to their customers. Thank you Loula

I was the conductor on that train that night over two years ago and distinctly remember working with you.

I need to heavily preface this by once again saying that I WAS THERE. I don't understand why you say we were cruel and treated you badly, I tried dearly to help you, was very polite, and even amidst the backdrop of an emergency I set time aside, I contacted your hotel via my personal cell phone (which is technically against the law while on duty) and tried to arrange alternate pickup for you with them given the emergency situation, but the hotel was unable to provide assistance.

We then recommended some alternate options, hotels in LA, shuttle services (which would have cost more but would have gotten you there safely), even going so far as to call Cloud 9 Shuttle (once again on my personal cell phone) but YOU REFUSED to listen to us and insisted we accomodate you exactly how you had originally planned to be accomodated, which simply wasn't possible.

Every once in a while while travelling we are thrown unexpected curve balls. You need to learn how to adapt on the fly or you'll be left out in the cold (In this case literally). We were exceedingly polite, provided you a heavily disproportionate amount of time and attention when it was needed elsewhere (We had a car stuck to the front of our train and a guy coated in blood with bone sticking out of his arm right outside) and you threw it back into our faces because we simply were unable to provide you exactly what you wanted. If you were being treated rudely by the end of the night then it was because that's how you were treating the employees. However, I know that despite all things, all the employees, including myself, who helped you were exceedingly polite and did everything in our power to help you.

I called amtrak and made reservations for a trip from Ephrata, WA to Portland, Or (08-13-09). I got on a Thruway bus in Ephrata and was supposed to get on a train in Seattle, Wa.

Well, there was a game in Seattle and it I delayed the bus by around 40 minutes. As we were approaching the time the train leaves I asked the bus driver what would happen if he was late. He did not seem to really care. I got to the train statin 10 mins after the train left.

They told me that the train was gone and I could wait unitl the next train to portand at 7:30am the next morn or take a taxi to grayhound. They told me it was not there problem that I was late. They said it was thuways problem and that the bus driver should have called the train station if he was late. The driver did have a cell phone and was using it to try to get tickets to the game in Seattle (he new at this point we may be late).

They also mentioned that this has happened before with thurway. I was able to get a bus from grayhound but it really messed up my plans. There was no guarantee that grayhound even had a spot available. I was supposed to arive in portland at 8:30pm and I did not get in until 12:00am.

Why would I schedule a trip with them again if I'm just going to be stranded some place. There were 3 other people that also missed the train and had to make alternate plans. The only thing they offered to other people was a refund on their tickets. My first experience with amtrak and I was not impressed.

If Amtrak has a problem with thurway then they should not offer the service on the phone/web site. If I ever use Amtrak again it will be train all of the way.

Amtrak and Metrolink do not coordinate services, and your Amtrak ticket was to Los Angeles. They got you to Los Angeles. Had you had some kind of Amtrak connection that was missed, even to their connecting bus network (Amtrak Thruway) they would have taken care of it, but if they get you to your ticketed end point, their obligation to you is finished.

While it was unfortunate, and I would not want to get into Pomona in the middle of the night, as it has a gang problem.

When you found yourself stranded late in a strange city, it probably would have been better to have done some self help and tried to get a hotel in downtown LA and proceeded to Pomona in the morning.

View more comments (2)
Santa Ana, California
Loss

Amtrack Truck hit us.

We were involved in an accident a year ago in March in Massachusettes. An amtrak truck ran a red light and hit the van that we were driving that had prisoners in it. We were all taken to the hospital in ambulances. We have necer recieved any compinsation for this accident for are pain and suffering and loss of personal property. I have been in contact with the insurace company several times and I keep getting the same remark we haven't got any paperwork I have sent it three times. I am tired of the run around they think just because they are a big company they can just push us to the side. I feel this is totally wrong.
ID
#119202 Review #119202 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Topeka, Kansas