Family stranded in Denver!!

We had tickets last week to return home from Denver, CO to Michigan last Thursday. We arrived at the station 2 hours prior to departure time. The station was empty. The desk person told us the train was canceled for August 3 and and 4th. The next train to MIchigan was for August 7, but it was filled. We had to take a cab to the Denver airport ($72)to get a car rental. We went to 4 car rentals and they were sold out until 8/9/11. Finally, a car rental took advantage of us and rented us a car for $785 (for 24 hrs) to Chicago. $121 of gas to reach Chicago. We then took the Amtrak from Chicago to Michigan. We used Amtrak for the first time for this vacation. NEVER AGAIN!!! Amtrak told us they would reimburse us the train ticket fee, and that they had the right to cancel the train. So, instead of a $240 train ticket, we were out almost $1000. Thanks! We have a son going to college and were trying to save money on this trip!! THINK TWICE about using Amtrak!!

Fake/bogus complaint!!! Enough said

@Gertrude W Fec

Whatever. Go get a job!

Grand Rapids, Michigan

Amtrak lowest common denominator

It's actually worse then the DMV. All blacks working with attitudes. They take up paid seats. I pay 40 bucks for business class and it's no different than coach. Same low life's, same small seats, there is ZERO ADVANTAGE to buy a business class seat. Throw 40 bux out the window first. The staff have too much power to kick customers off the train and have a captive audience. Once that train starts rolling, you are ***. Forget about anyone being nice. They are typical black,lazy and entitled staff. It makes me sick, there is zero accountability but I guess it employs a lot of blacks so it fits into Nobamas plan.

YOU ARE A RACIST, NO WAY AROUND IT, ETHIC GROUP HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANY ISSUE YOU HAD, THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE MAY NOT BE TO YOUR SATISFACTION..AS FOR THE OTHER PERSON THAT COMMENTED KALA MADE SOME VALID POINTS AND IF YOU ARE AN AMTRAK EMPLOYEE WHY NOT FIND ANOTHER JOB....

Sorry to say it, but the guy or girl is correct, and not mentioning color, just simply that the quality of employee hired in the last 10-15 years is horrendous.

It is a fact that there is a disproportionate number of african americans employed with Amtrik at this time.

I personaly dont care what color you are, or where you came from, as long as you do your job, do it well, and without attitude, but it seems that there is an issue in this regard. And oh by the way, Kala, you may be white, but you are also without doubt a product of the the DC education system, as your spelling leaves much to be desired.

you are racist ***K and ignorant. Would you like to know why?

Because you class a group of people by the color of their skin. And that is why you will always be contained in your small little box of a mind, never expanding and only live the **american life** because your attitude towards people and life is down right miserable. I would give you $40 to see a therapist. HA, and i am white ;) learn to see people not color and you will see and actually live LIFE, not every black person is what you so called *black,lazy* maybe one day you will realize from an educational view point they have a lack of customer service skills.

Instead of making a complaint about color you should make a complaint about how a person behaves. I have met nice *blacks* and mean *blacks*..

i also live in DC so, maybe one day you will grow and be machure i hope you do for your SAKE. have a great day

View more comments (2)
East Peoria, Illinois

Amtrak Has Become a National Disgrace

I have taken three expensive Amtrak cross country trips, with bedroom accomodations. The service has been very uneven. I complained and nobody would listen, nobody cared. Amtrak is right and if you complain, you can find another way to travel. I witnessed a dining car manager bar a man, who she thought was a ***, from the dining car. She didn't like his looks. He was articulate. I couldn't get anyone to listen to my compaint. I witnessed a civil rights violation and no one would listen. Amtrak has become an embarassment to our country, a national disgrace.

Yup, Yup.

This is why, even taking in consideration of usually free pass travel.......I fly or drive to any place that requires longer then a 3 hour train ride.

Because of possible pending litigation against Amtrak, please remove " Amtrak Has Become a National Disgrace" from your comments.

Amtrak does not listen and does not care about complaints. People have been told that they can be put of the train if they "cause trouble".

View more comments (2)
Los Angeles, California

Threatened to strand senile 93yr old at 12:30am with no one to help, no money, no where to go

Amtrak threatened to throw me off the train because I was muttering TO MYSELF about how bad their service was. S Ivey, the car attendant called out from around the corner "I am going to have you thrown off the train." That would leave my senile father and schizophrenic brother, both senior citizens helpless on the platform at 12:30am 3000 miles from home with no money and no idea what to do (did I mention they are SENILE). I asked her to stop yelling at me, told her I was the primary care giver and made it quite clear that would be elder abuse and walked away. This was 1 hour before we were supposed to arrive but we were delayed 8.5 hours so we still had some time to go and were absolutely in the middle of nowhere. There aren't even buses where they were threatening me with this. Attendant S. Ivey took this issue to the conductor who said he would have me thrown off the train. They continued to escalate this, insisting that I discuss this in the dining car in front of the dining staff who piled on so it was me against everyone until I just walked away. They caught up with me in the lounge and at least the people in the lounge stood up for me. But the conductor was adamant that I had no right to be upset and that he would put me off the train now, he said, because I was upset. An attendent from another car came and tried to make peace with the conductor and offered to escort me to the sleeper cart my dad and brother were in and we did that but it was so stressful. And all of this was because the original attendant S. Ivey left them trapped with their lunch leftovers for HOURS. A simple I'm sorry and none of this ever would've happened. THe pity of it all is that I was really enjoying parts of that trip. The trip through the Colorado Rockies is best in a train with a lounge car and the big windows.And I thanked that conductor several times for his narration throughout the train. THe guides were great. The guy in the cafe car was great. The service on the train from DC to Chicago was impeccable. THey had everyone in and out of that dining car every 30 minutes like clockwork. But the service crew that came on in Chicago were just atrocious. You sat down for your breakfast at and you couldn't leave until 9:30. THe last hour was spent waiting for the bill. We were 8.5 hours late but no one could've done anything about the delays. But the service was just atrocious. And then they threatened to abandon helpless senior citizens. At midnight. In a strange town. With no money. Amtrak should be ashamed of itself. Just ashamed.
San Rafael, California

AMTRAK THE HORRIBLE TRIP

Tuve la experiencia mas horrible en mi viaje, el tren supuestamente salia de Mt. Pleasant IA, a las 9 de la manana llego a la 1 de la tarde, de alli se para por casi una hora en Burlington IA, y finalmente 3 horas de viaje que supuestamente se debe demorar el tren de Mt. Pleasant IA a Chicago ILL se demoro 10 horas, asi que llegamos a las 7 de la noche logicamente perdi mi conexion en Chicago pues mi avion salia a las 7:30 a NewarK NJ. Alli en Chicago fue una experiencia impresionante, la aerolinea no me reconocio los tiquetes y tam[poco Amtrak pudo hacer nada por mi, solamente me oblicaron a comprar un tiquete del tren de Chicago hacia Newark y un viaje que planeaba tener 5 horas se convirtio *** Amtrak en tres dias, ya que desde Chicago hacia Newark el tren se demoro *** todos los retrazos mas de 30 horas para llegar a Pen Station. La atencion en el tren es desesperante, la azafata en vez de darnos un snak en la mano no lo tiro a encima, trate de moverme de mi asiento asignado dos sillas mas atras y la azafata comenzo a gritarme, poniendome los dedos en mis ojos, fui a darle un compllain al maquinista de Relaciones y lo unico que me dijo que ella tenia razon, agregando que fuimos al comedor y se negaron servirnos porque no habiamos hecho una reservacion. Espero se comuniquen conmigo y quiero un reembolso de mi dinero ya que la culpa de perder mi vuelo fue completamente de Amtrak. Mil gracias
Elmhurst, New York

Assaulted by Amtrak Conductor

I was assaulted by an Amtrak conductor after taking a trip to Chicago. The Conductor was extremely rude to both passengers and fellow employees the entire trip, threatening to throw people off or leave them where ever we were. The train was 2 hours late, with absolutely no information passed to the passengers until an Amtrak employee went and talked to them. They told him that the intercom was not working well, he told them then you need to be out there letting people know because the entire train was worried about what was going on, the conductor in question then yelled at him for telling him how to do his job. After we finally got to Chicago we got off the train and saw the same rude conductor, we said "there goes the ******" he then ran up to us and threatined to call the police, we laughed at him and told him to go ahead and call the police. At that point he swore at us and then pushed me. I called the police on HIM right away, filed a Amtrak complaint and a police report, the Amtrak super intendant refunded my money for the return trip we had not taken yet but we were informed we would need to contact Customer Relations to get a refund for the trip that we were assaulted on. Customer Relations told me that "refunds are not allowed for employee conduct". Amtrak clearly does not care about it's passengers safety or well being or repeat business if they allow their employees to assault paying customers without so much as a refund.

I just experienced physical assault by an amtrak conductor that travels from Chicago on the California zephyr. His name is Kevin..

I am in the process of filing a complaint & possibly bringing a lawsuit against them if necessary. i would very much like to talk with you about this! I am unsure how this site works & how to contact you. I am a small framed female & was traveling with my 12 month old baby & was thrown off the train for attempting to get my diaper bag.

I'm not sure where to go from here! Please let me know how to contact you.

Thank you!

@PissedConsumer656950

Innocent people don't get thrown off the train. You might also be careful about getting yourself sued for slander. I am sure you are leaving out many facts here and embellishing on the rest of the details.

#922045
@PissedConsumer721845

"Innocent people don't get thrown off the train", really? You must work for Amtrak.

I rode the Capital back from Chicago this past weekend and had a similar experience. The individual was not a conductor but, I believe, a sleeper attendant.

He was an African American approx 50-55 years old.

His name was Arthur. Could it be the same person?

Was this on the Cardinal by any chance? I rode the Cardinal a few months back and while the conductor wasnt physically violent, he was rude.

View more comments (4)
Washington, District Of Columbia
Amtrak Train Service

Amtrak puts us in danger -- and no refunds!

This is the true story of Amtrak Train #88's 9-hour fiasco on Sunday from D.C to NYC/CT. As you read, keep one thing in mind: It was 100% their fault, and they REFUSED to give refunds for putting us all in danger. Not a penny. Not a farthing. Not a rupee. Nada. Oh, and they never said sorry. So 450 of us are whizzing along, and the train stops dead somewhere in Delaware. It's 150 degrees outside (fine, let's say with the blazing sun and gluey humidity, it had a legit feel of 90+). The A/C's been down for awhile along with the train and the mercury is rising fast, so I ask about possibly piping some oxygen into our sealed 8-car-long oven. Joe Amtrak ignores me, but my quiet panic apparently prompts him to get on the PA to calm us all down. "It's gonna get real hot in here real fast," he tell us. "It's even worse because we're on a train. But when it gets too hot, just remember: It's even hotter outside." Wha??? Here's a picture of the house owned by a heroic man who lives across the tracks and tried to save us all by himself: OK...that was just a taster of what happened....here is a link to my full blog posting with videos, pictures and the full story of what happened to us on Train #88 on Sunday. It's outrageous -- and it has to stop! http://thatnotright.blogspot.com/
Bronx, New York

Amtrak train 176

Our trip from Washington D.C. on May 26th was a disaster. We stopped outside Willmington Delaware and were told that they needed to clear the tracks, then it was the electrical system, then we needed a new engine, or a part for an engine. One hour and forty minutes were spent in the heat with no air, water or bathrooms that worked. Then when we got to Penn Station we were all thrown off the train and herded like cattle into a lounge area where they said to wait for an announcement. Finally they put us on the already oversold Acela and we got to Bridgeport over three hours late. The employees in New York were rude and refused to tell us anything that was going on with our train. I will never ride Amtrak again.
Stamford, Connecticut
Amtrak Train Service

Amtrak very rude on the phone

I reserved a ticket on Amtrak but I am considering canceling my reservation. I called to ask a simple question but the woman on the on the phone was very rude and a basic ***. This makes me not want to travel via Amtrak. This strikes me as a typical unaccountable and uncaring government employee. Amtrak is rude. Amtrak is rude. Amtrak is rude. Amtrak is rude. Amtrak is rude. Amtrak is rude. Amtrak is rude. Amtrak is rude.Amtrak is rude. Amtrak is rude.Amtrak is rude. Amtrak is rude.Amtrak is rude. Amtrak is rude.Amtrak is rude. Amtrak is rude.Amtrak is rude. Amtrak is rude.Amtrak is rude. Amtrak is rude.
Macomb, Michigan

Amtrak experience

Update by user Jul 12, 2011

Update: July 11 2011

This summer my family found ourselves in a situation that forced us to ride on Amtrak again. This time, with our experience, we were able to avoid the painful experience we encountered with Amtrak in the past. However, the same low level of quality found in Amtrak employees were unchanged with one exception: a conductor on our train was surprising professional and friendly. That\'s one in thousands. It\'s more like an exception rather than a norm. Having that said, Amtrak management\'s machine-like style in its response to customers\' complaints only makes it worse. If you call in the 800 number to leave feedback or complaints, you\'d get one of the most incompetent and more-***-than-a-vending-machine person on the end of the line.

In any case, Amtrak should be cleaned up and inducted into the Hall of Shame because it may be only better than the train system in India and is so far behind virtually everyone else among the developed nations. Perhaps, it\'s a culture that has been fermented over decades of corruption and complacency that shapes Amtrak as we see (and experience) today.

When and if you make a complaint to any idiots at Amtrak, you would receive one of million excuses and evasive response found in the book!

It is very unfortunate that a nation of this size has to endure the inferior and sub-standard train service. Could it be that the oil companies have something to do with this? After all, it\'s the oil companies that killed the electric car and remote controls virtually all lawmakers in congress and other functions of our government. They could easily make riding trains a miserable experience so people would drive instead.

Original review posted by user Apr 27, 2011
My first experience with Amtrak has left me with a distinct impression that it's a typical government-run business: lazy, inefficient, unprofessional, and plain rude. My husband and I decided to give Amtrak a try (also with the intention to save gasoline money), but we walked away from the train wondering how could such operation last more than a few years. But then we found out that Amtrak is heavily subsided by tax dollars. The quality of the employees is the lowest you could find any where except DMV or post offices. The employees, both at the station and on the train, were consistently unprofessional and incompetent. Any one who differ slightly would be a contractor working under the umbrella of Amtrak. The bottom line: we would love to see a major clean up at Amtrak!

I took an AmTrack train from Toronto Union Station to Los Angeles in early May 2011 looking for an alternative to flying. I am scared to fly.

I had to get on another train in Bufallo to get to Chicago first. The train was late and was rushing through the night to get to destination on time. This was a worste experience in my life. I didn't know that riding a train can be like *** on the roller coaster.

It wasn't safe! In the early moring we stopped at the small station. Some passengers got off and some got on. The seat next to me was vacant.

Two girls stopped looking at the seats and at me. And they went back and called the conductor whi was a balck girl in her late 20's. She asked me: did you change your seat. I said 'no' and then she said 'yes you did'.

I said 'no I didn't, please ask on of your staff who assigned me to this seat' and I foolowed her to find that guy. She said wait here, got of the train and five minutes later came back with the suervisor poinint at me and telling him 'that one'. With any questions the supervisor said 'you are confronting the staff' I said 'no I dont'. I was shocked!

He wasn't even listening but saying raising his voice " if you don't stop I will call the police the get you of the train!..I am a fast learner...I just said 'what do you want me to do?'...It was so humiliting. I am not american. And the only thought was going through my mind was :These are they, americans'...This is how the do things here and all over the world. It is their way or no way!

Are these ppl reasonable? Or they just don't care?

Why they make others to hate them? I learned my lesson, once again.

I also concur. Just took the 59 from Chicago to New Orleans with family for a first time experience and was disappointed after reading the many good reviews.

The trip started and the lounge was nice in Chicago. Ticket desk was shocked when I asked to check in but then moved ahead after finding out I was a sleeper car passenger. Boarded the train which was good and fast but there was a lot of confusion between the different car attendants standing outside. Got to sleeper car and found it dated and dirty.

Asked car attendant about making a dinner resv which I read on the Amtrak site and web was the thing to do. He told me it would be ok and don't worry about it. Also read that you can even eat 1 hr. prior to train leaving which is not true.

Made way to dinner car and was told we don't open till 8:30. Downloaded menu off Amtrak site for my trip and was looking fwd to eating the NY steak. No good, as the menu was diff than what the company site stated and had a hamburger and veggie pasta on it instead. Hamburger bun was hard and meat was overcooked.

Got back to room and found beds not prepped as stated on web site. Had to figure out how to set up the 3 beds myself having never done so before. Once car attendant showed up, I asked him how to adjust temp according to sign on the wall which was vague at best, no clue. Overall, very rough ride as trained was flying.

Woke up at 6:30 and tried to eat breakfast but was told its first come first serve. Gave our name and waited in dome car. After about 55 mins, dinner car made announcement that dinner car was still open with open seats and to come on down. When asked, they stated they thought we had been seated already.

Menu was the one I saw the night before and wanted the French toast I saw on it. Nope, menu was the one that was on the web site which had no French toast but rather pancakes and the NY Steak listed for dinner. ?? Returned to car and found beds still not put away.

Went to lunch and had to ask what the special on menu was as no one seem to care to say anything about it. While eating dinner and train flying again, it was hard to eat. At one point, the entire car slammed to the side hard causing many people hit the windows with their shoulders and heads and launch food dishes to the floor. I assume the train switched lanes but it was going way to fast.

Train seemed to go slower after that and was 48 mins ahead of schedule still. Also, dinner car never really got cleaned as I saw the same stuff on the floor over the two day trip and 3 seating’s. Pulled into New Orleans very slow, 12 mins ahead of schedule. PROS: Dome car has awesome seating and great views.

Our sleeper car was put as the last car which was great as we never hear the train horn. However, a fun walk to dinner car when train is flying!

CONS: no attendant help or room prep, low care factor, safety concerns. Overall, disappointed with trip and have serious concerns over safety.

The remarks above are right on. I am but a few years away from retirement, and I too count the days, hours, etc.

I will not subject my family to riding on the trains for fear or 'incidents' that may occur.

I long for the days of when it was run like a real railroad with accountablity and and decent passenger services.

When we travel, we do so by car or plane.

4 years, 3 months, 6 days to go and thne it can go in the hole it belongs.

Agreed. Sorry about your experience, trust me, the decent younger employees are looking for jobs elsewhere, and the ones getting close to retirement are simply counting the days until being released.

The company is hogtied as far as what it can do to boost moral, and quality of employees for a number of reasons, mostly due to fear of being sued or accused of racism. Sorry, but the truth is the truth.

View more comments (3)
Merced, California

The "Non" California Zepher

My wife and i paid for a round trip from Grand Junction CO to Martinez CA on 3/24/11. It has been years since we have been on a train so were looking forward to the trip. Late spring storms in the California Sierra's cause the train to stop in Reno NV, Amtrak put all of the passengers in a very nice casino and were to bus us over the pass. My daughter did not want to wait so we went via car to her house. On the return trip I called the depot in Martinez CA and was told that the train could not get over the pass. Amtrak did not offer any means of transport to Reno to catch the return train back to Colorado. I rented a car (cost $200 with gas) to get us to Reno. The train trip back was uneventful if you take into account the instant coffee and high food prices. When we arrived home I immediately called to request a refund for part of the train ticket and car rental fee, It took 27 minutes and being passed from one disinterested agent to another. I sent in the requested information on April 1 and here it is the 22nd of April and no response. I called the customer service and was on hold for almost 30 minutes, again I was told that my claim is at Corporate Office and it will take 6 weeks to get an answer on my request. I cannot believe the poor customer relations and delayed response time from this company. I will never again ride the rails unless I hitch a ride on a Coal or freight train. And that is too bad, because this Great of a Nation deserves a passenger transport system that is much better than Amtrak. It should be disbanded and sold as scrap!

I have to disagree with you. I have traveled california zepher many times, I would have to say this train has some of the nicest,sincere people working on a train. I have never had a problem with the customer service center--my word to you is treat them nice and maybe you would get the same respect.

I hate to do this, but I do agree with you. We need to take the government oversight out of this 'company' and let the chips fall where they may.

This means no more employee give aways to those that complain of discrimination etc. Perhaps a 'private' group can bring this back to a decent railroad.

Grand Junction, Colorado
Amtrak Train Service

Amtrak lunch car operator rude and I'll prepared

I travelled on train 94 from Newport News to Philadelphia on April 11, 2011and found the cafe car operator very rude and ill prepared. It's a seven hour trip so I was on long enough for breakfast and lunch. She had no toaster or it wasn't working to toast my bagel. She was unapologetic and her attitude sucked. She acted like she was annoyed with me for asking. When I went back later for lunch the item I asked for wasn't available and neither was about 75% of the menu. How could you possibly not have lunch menu items at lunch time? Since there were no sandwiches I thought I'd have a soda and chips to hold me over until I got home. I asked for a diet coke and she threw a diet pepsi on the counter. I told her I wanted a diet coke and she said, again with no apology. "we don't sell coke products". By this time I'm fed up with her and said well I don,t want that. Do you have water? I didn't notice a name tag but I'm sure I provided enough info for her to be identified. There are a lot of people out of work so I'm sure she can be replaced. Maybe she could find something NOT in the service industry. 

this happened on the Palmetto 93, Southbound on June 19th 2011, If anybody was on this train, please say what you saw, it was a attractive black female on that train, everybody noticed her, you couldn't help it, and you also couldn't help notice that the all of the conductors were up to no good! Especially that dining car operator, he was the sickest!

everybody noticed it, in fact, there were whispers all over the train about how fresh this man who was preparing food in the dining car was getting with 3 female passengers, this happened on June 19th southbound, I got on in DC and this female that i am referring to was already aboard the train, so I don't know where she got on, but she was stunning, She was actually black but looks like she could be mixed with a lot of things, she was tan with reddish blonde hair, tall, and modelisque and I noticed her get up every few minutes to hide in the restroom, that was because the male conductors were making passes at her, and I thought it was terrible. Even the guy sitting next to her was a ***, he turned over towards the window and began doing things, thats a whole other story, anyway, by the time we got to Charleston, it seemed as though they were gonna flat out you know what, it was too much sexual tension, I felt sorry for the girl, don't know who she was, but they tagged her seat as sav, and I guess that is where she was headed.

I hope she is ok. I hope that man, who was black, gets some counseling, he was clearly out of control, and his bosses had to know!

You are very lucky sir, some of the people I worked with on those trains spit, sprayed bleach, or threw things at customers! i'n fact I got fired shortly after filing a report that my coworker was drinking out of customers cups before serving them!

she of course has recently been promoted to a managers position by, guess who?

the manager i reported her to! guess to keep a job you gotta be part of the family!!!

You got one of the better ones. There seems to be a recent (over the past several years) decrease in good customer service, and a huge increase in attitude.

I hate to even bring this into it, but is relevant......my educated guess it that there is a difference in race between you and the service car attendant.

This has become an unfortunate epidemic that Amtrak is unable or unwilling to address. Sorry about your poor experience.

View more comments (3)
Hatfield, Pennsylvania

PRICING SCHEDULE IS TOO HIGH..CAN'T RIDE

Several times a year, I would like to travel on Amtrak from Boston to New York City.....I understand that prices are lowest when booking a month in advance....roughly $46 each way. But the closer one gets to travelling, say a week before, this same ticket goes to $95 each way.....Most people including myself do not plan specific dates way ahead....more like 5-7 days ahead......So as a result, I end up taking the bus, for $18-24 each way... I wonder how many empty seats Amtrak has because of this.....They do not run it as a business. It's not like an Airline, because there are alternatives-- busses and driving in one's car......I think if Amtrak were a privately run company, they would do things differently....And they would actually show a profit......If only they would hold prices down for ticket buyers who buy with a week to go before riding, they would sell a lot more seats!

I too find Amtrak's ticket buying schemes confusing. However, fares between Boston and New York vary depending on the popularity of the particular train.

If you look you can find less expensive trains but none are as cheap at the buses on this route. Of course on Amtrak you can be sure you will not be killed on the trip, something that happens too often with today's buses.

If you like standing on the train you will want to return to the old days of private companies.

I well remember having to stand from Providence to New Haven. Amtrak has its faults but it is many times better than rail travel before Amtrak came to town.

unfortunately, you RARELY see an empty train in or out of Boston/nyc, most people who take the train take it to commute and will buy 10 anytime tickets, others just dont realize there are other options, some just dont care, they feel that amtrak is the simplest, and therefor best, choice :sigh

Boston, Massachusetts

Amtrak Communication Error is Costing the Customer

On March 3rd 12:56pm EST, I booked tickets online for a trip with Amtrak. I realized I made an error in the dates and on March 3rd 2:39pm EST (1 hr and 43 minutes later), I called to have those dates changed. New dates resulted in a new price (lower). I was told by the person on the phone that I would be charged the new amount and sent the correct tickets. I know this because I asked specifically. On March 4, Fed Ex attempted to deliver my tickets. When I received the envelope (March 8), they were the wrong tickets and (after checking my bank account) I was charged the wrong amount. I called Amtrak, spoke with 5 people, including Customer Relations. They essentially said that the only way for me to get my money bank (difference between original booking and new booking) and get correct tickets is to: 1) go to the train station now or wait for my trip and hand in the old tickets and get the new and my money back 2) send the tickets I have back at my own expense I told Amtrak this was unacceptable. I am not near the train station and would like my money back before my trip. I also felt that I should not have to send them back at a cost to me, as I was given (evidently) the wrong information by the person who changed my reservation. I was told, in no uncertain terms, that Amtrak would not issue me a pre-paid envelope or provide me with a shipping account number. I was told I could mail them back with a stamp, but without delivery confirmation, there's no guarantee they'd receive them. I suggested that Amtrak refund me the $15 charge for sending me the tickets. I thought this was a good compromise. I was then told they won't do that because, you know, they DID mail me the tickets (even though I did not think they would be mailing me the wrong ones). Understanding this may have boiled down to a communication error on the part of the Amtrak employee who changed my reservation, I thought that the $15 fee refunded to me was a reasonable request and would allow me to then take that money and mail back the wrong tickets. Alas, I have been told by everyone I've talked to that they won't do it, and that going to the train station (thereby leaving me out that extra money for a while) or mailing the tickets at my expense are my ONLY options. I was told by Brandy in Customer Relations that I was free to call the corporate office if I so desired. Which I did. I left messages with Joseph Boardman (CEO/President) and Matthew Hardison (Chief , Sales Distribution and Customer Service). But I was also told by someone else in the corporate office (when I attempted to reach HR) that Amtrak was never going to part with their money. Really? Such a small amount to make a customer happy? And really now, this is sort of an issue about principle. Shame on you, Amtrak. It's unbelievable to me. And me, a long time Amtrak customer. Maybe not for long?

They never needed you to return the bad tickets, they should have canceled them over the phone and emailed you a confirmation for the new tickets, at which point you could have printed them off in your own home. As a former employee who knew her job was to the customers, not the company, I'm sorry that people have to put up with this horrid lack of customer service skills.

I know I had to find loopholes all the time to give people back money they didnt know theyd spent! for example, one poor fellow in nyc had ordered a ticket to newark deleware, the woman sold him a ticket to newark nj instead(first class alcea, for one stop!), then refused to fix it!

I happened to be there and took him directed to the service office, they refunded the ticket, and comped him an acela ticket for his troubles! thats the kind of treatment our passenger should get, not a 'whatever, not my problem'

Milford, Massachusetts

RipOff / Dirty / Safety in question

I type this while sitting in my disgusting seat, over 20 minutes on hold with customer service, and over charged. I am on my return trip to Austin from fort worth. Apparently, when I checked in, in Austin, to come to fort worth, the agent checked me in for my return trip as well, but only gave me my one way pass to fort worth. The agent here in fort worth just informed me of this and claims that he can not give me another ticket. After explaining to him that I never received the ticket in the first place he said there is nothing that he could do except buy another ticket. He wouldn't even look me in the eye and he said "how do we know you aren't lying". That was the most offensive thing I could hear when being double charged due to a potential mistake on someone elses part. Based on this complete lack of intelligence and social skills, I can only doubt the overall integrity of the entire organization go hire such a person. If Amtrak makes this right, then I will remove this comment. Otherwise, F that d-*** behind the counter and whoever backs him up. What a bunch of ***.

Next time this happens, just GET ON THE TRAIN, the conductors on average are more helpful than ticket agents, they can look up your ticket number and so long as you have your id, you should be fine!

There it is......the proof in text.....by the amtrak employee in new orleans......you said it all, what about us? See it's that very attitude of entitlement that has our company in the crapper.

Your response should always be "what about our passengers? The one who REALLY keep the comany running. Our it would be if our jobs weren't heavily subsidized by taxes.

Sorry but get over yourself, and think about what the words, customer service mean. Gees, there are thousands of your type all over the company.

what about us,employees the ones who keep this bussiness running? no body give a *** about us

In direct response to the original poster, I understand your frustration. The ticking rules have become an absolute horror for everyone involved in the past few years.

Mostly to prevent abuses, but allow for very little legitimate leaway either. It's sad, and getting sadder.

Good luck in your quest to get your situation straightened out.

BadIronBob hit it on the head of the rail for sure. This company is no longer run anything like a railroad, but instead a convoluted politcal machine from the very top to middle and lower management, (of which needs to get another RIF!)

It is now an us against them attiutude between management, labor, and worse yet.....the passengers.

If you think it's bad where it obviously should be the best, at the employee/customer level, then slowly scan up the food 8) chain...The rot here comes from the top down, yet the blame is always put on the least powerful...ahh, nothing new here.

View more comments (5)